[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Custom figure modifications: Tips & Resources - Community

Custom figure modifications: Tips & Resources

Tips & Tricks
It dawned on me that we don't have a thread dedicated to cataloguing sources of figure fodder. The scale of Mega Bloks Micro Action Figures makes it slightly challenging to find body parts ( custom heads) , accessories and potentially vehicles that are in scale with the figures. I personally would like to make the Marvel character Terrax the Tamer and the only way that will happen is if i sculpt all of the pieces i need myself a*or* if someone points me in the direction of a Terrax figure in scale with Mega Bloks MAFS.

So fellow customizers what non Mega Bloks parts are you using to create unique figures?

I'll start.

Jakks Pacific WWE Micro ( and TNA Micro) figure heads. I specifically have a 20+ man platoon of figures with WWE heads modified to fit MAF bodies and they look GREAT. They are in scale with the bodies, not over sized at all and add some great variety and diversity to my platoon.

One guy looks like a young jean claude van dam . I think i'm going to make him a traitor / enemy leader heh

Have a look at firebox they 3d print your face in MAF scale

Heeeyyyy i didn't realize they now offer the service in Micro scale. I recall when this service first became available . Very cool.

Trying to put together some COD Special Forces although im having a heck of a time trying to source some bare arms with some muscle tone.

I've found some through the Assassin's creed line (Adewale) however its not the skin tone i'm looking for (also trying to avoid painting if I can.)

Anyone have any ideas?

What about using a thrall or other Warcraft figure? It would need some paint and maybe some minor modifications though.

I'm working on a figure right now ( several ) and the short answer is :

There are no sources of articulated bare arms with muscle tone that have existing joints like the newly articulated Mega Bloks figures ( that i know of) .

Considering how much attention Adewale has garnered we're all wating on Mega Bloks to release a multi pack of figures using that body in multiple skin tones (much like Assassins Creed multi pack figures have many skin tones). I really like the Adewale figure but i'd love new figures using that body in every human skin tone and several solid colors like blue , red, purple , etc. .

If you are willing to perform some moderate to extensive modification you can use MUSCLE / Kinnikuman arms . You would still end up painting though ( and this is after drilling , sanding, gluing, etc.).

Anyone have tips for painting figures, I'm really struggling with the quality of my paint jobs.
I've watched a bunch of videos online but still having trouble.

I've been putting primer on the parts before painting, sometimes the paint will not stick to the primer.
Just wipes off. I've read that there is a time period in which you should paint after primer. I've also read that maybe the paint is to thin. Has anyone come across this problem?

Another problem I have is visible paint strokes. Read this is because the paint is to thick.
I've tried watering it down but still seeing strokes on larger surfaces.

I've tried two types of Acrylic paint, also tried Testors model paint.
Didn't have the primer problem with the Testors but still saw brush strokes.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I do not use primer.
I've never had a problem with acrylic paint adhering to plastic but i've heard of this problem in the past. A light washing with soapy water usually alleviates this problem (not that you had this problem).
I use clear nail polish as a sealer when i do seal.
Continue thinning / watering you paint down . The viscosity shouldn't be water thin but not far from it . Light coats multiplied is the key to success.

Walmart brand acrylic paint ("painters palette" in the past) is adequate.

Toothpicks, needles, push pins and wire are excellent paint brushes when working with small figures and applying small details.

Clay works well as a border when applying paint.

Thehumanelement wrote:Clay works well as a border when applying paint.
Thats a great idea. Thanks for the tips.

Thehumanelement wrote:Continue thinning / watering you paint down . The viscosity shouldn't be water thin but not far from it . Light coats multiplied is the key to success..
Worked on a new project today. Took your advice about thinning the paint to almost water thin.
I'm much happier with the results. No visible brush strokes!

Thanks again for the tip.

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”