[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Custom figure modifications: Tips & Resources - Page 8 - Community

Custom figure modifications: Tips & Resources

Tips & Tricks

I'm currently thinking of doing scratch-built anime figures fit for Mega Construx blocks, and at some extent, adhere to Monster High, Halo and Destiny limb & joint systems. Which particular figures might come useful for a base, or as a study resource?

What do some of you use to cut on the figures, as in either carve/reshape or straight up cut, say a leg off at the ankle? Right now I'm trying utility knives and X-acto knives. Any suggestions?

AiasOileus wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:31 pm
What do some of you use to cut on the figures, as in either carve/reshape or straight up cut, say a leg off at the ankle? Right now I'm trying utility knives and X-acto knives. Any suggestions?
I usually use an x-acto knife if I need to cut anything. You could look into getting a dremel as I hear they're good for customizing figures.

TacticalSponge wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:15 pm
AiasOileus wrote:
I usually use an x-acto knife if I need to cut anything. You could look into getting a dremel as I hear they're good for customizing figures.
Thanks for the input TacticalSponge

shiningHatsya wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:14 pm
I'm currently thinking of doing scratch-built anime figures fit for Mega Construx blocks, and at some extent, adhere to Monster High, Halo and Destiny limb & joint systems. Which particular figures might come useful for a base, or as a study resource?
Use bodies from the halo/COD/or destiny line. They are the most compatible between each other and can be easy to get.

AiasOileus wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 pm
TacticalSponge wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:15 pm
AiasOileus wrote:
Thanks for the input TacticalSponge
Yeah an x-acto is the way to go, make sure to sand whatever you cut to get a nice smooth look afterwards

I'm struggling to making a figure that can hold a gun more correctly. I favor the COD and Destiny hands over the Halo ones, as they allow pistols to be held straight without requiring you to bend the elbow in an odd fashion. Problem is, you can't pop-n-swap those hands with the Halo arms, as they are incompatible.
So, at first I thought this was an easy fix. Just pop-n-swap the COD or Destiny forearms with the Halo ones, add a quick go-over with paint, and you're good. But turns out that's a problem too. COD and Destiny forearms are incompatible with Halo upper arms, as their rod connecting the inner tube of the Halo upper arm is too long.
So, I guess I could just pop-n-swap the ENTIRE COD or Destiny arm with the Halo one. I thought that this would be it, but this causes yet ANOTHER problem. Because the COD and Destiny arms are actually LONGER than the Halo arms, we now have a disproportionate figure. Legs of any figure should be, at least, slightly longer than the arms of the same figure. COD and Destiny arms are actually longer than Halo legs, which now means I have to alter the LEGS.
Most notable difference to add to height is the upper thigh of COD and Destiny figures. So, another pop-n-swap? No dice (go figure). Destiny and COD figures actually have thicker thighs that are incompatible with Halo armor pieces, which means either I have to cut up the armor pieces and glue them to the thighs, or sand down the thighs to an appropriate thickness at which the armor pieces can fit. I've already tried the latter, and to be brief, it was....messy. And a failure. Please, I really REALLY want to have an outstanding figure. If there is ANYTHING you guys know that can allow me to bypass butchering up my figures, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jason397a wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:13 pm
I'm struggling to making a figure that can hold a gun more correctly. I favor the COD and Destiny hands over the Halo ones, as they allow pistols to be held straight without requiring you to bend the elbow in an odd fashion. Problem is, you can't pop-n-swap those hands with the Halo arms, as they are incompatible.
So, at first I thought this was an easy fix. Just pop-n-swap the COD or Destiny forearms with the Halo ones, add a quick go-over with paint, and you're good. But turns out that's a problem too. COD and Destiny forearms are incompatible with Halo upper arms, as their rod connecting the inner tube of the Halo upper arm is too long.
So, I guess I could just pop-n-swap the ENTIRE COD or Destiny arm with the Halo one. I thought that this would be it, but this causes yet ANOTHER problem. Because the COD and Destiny arms are actually LONGER than the Halo arms, we now have a disproportionate figure. Legs of any figure should be, at least, slightly longer than the arms of the same figure. COD and Destiny arms are actually longer than Halo legs, which now means I have to alter the LEGS.
Most notable difference to add to height is the upper thigh of COD and Destiny figures. So, another pop-n-swap? No dice (go figure). Destiny and COD figures actually have thicker thighs that are incompatible with Halo armor pieces, which means either I have to cut up the armor pieces and glue them to the thighs, or sand down the thighs to an appropriate thickness at which the armor pieces can fit. I've already tried the latter, and to be brief, it was....messy. And a failure. Please, I really REALLY want to have an outstanding figure. If there is ANYTHING you guys know that can allow me to bypass butchering up my figures, it would be greatly appreciated.
*Sad music plays*

Well I, myself have attempted to mix and match the two different sizes of figures and I can say that I have struggled with getting CoD arms to work with Halo torsos/legs. I quickly realised that any attempts would just make the characters look like gorillas. The only thing I can recommend is to swap Halo thighs out with CoD thighs, cut them a bit to fit the Halo leg pads and enjoy, however this may make your character taller then you want him to be so it's really up to you.

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”