[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Custom modifications: Tips & Resources - Page 2 - Community

Custom modifications: Tips & Resources

Tips & Tricks
Thanks for all the responses guys, though I was wondering what kind of paint is best for painting/customizing figures and or bricks (mainly figs) like if I can use normal paint or if there is something else? so yeah just any tips for custom painting :)

I use Teststors model enamel or flat paint.

Assassinater117 wrote:Thanks for all the responses guys, though I was wondering what kind of paint is best for painting/customizing figures and or bricks (mainly figs) like if I can use normal paint or if there is something else? so yeah just any tips for custom painting :)
I'm using Acrylic paint, but I'm kind of getting annoyed of seeing the brush strokes.
I'm temped to try an air brush or aerosol paint. Anyone have any experience painting figs with either of those?

Also, I've come to realize I should try to primer the pieces before.
Will take less coats of paint and it might also solve my brush stroke problem.

jonnyfiyve wrote:
Assassinater117 wrote:Thanks for all the responses guys, though I was wondering what kind of paint is best for painting/customizing figures and or bricks (mainly figs) like if I can use normal paint or if there is something else? so yeah just any tips for custom painting :)
I'm using Acrylic paint, but I'm kind of getting annoyed of seeing the brush strokes.
I'm temped to try an air brush or aerosol paint. Anyone have any experience painting figs with either of those?

Also, I've come to realize I should try to primer the pieces before.
Will take less coats of paint and it might also solve my brush stroke problem.
Try using Army Painter, they have a selection of washes and primers to choose from, and they go quite well with GW paints (which I also recommend using, they've got some good ones)

eliteslayer4915 wrote:Try using Army Painter, they have a selection of washes and primers to choose from, and they go quite well with GW paints (which I also recommend using, they've got some good ones)
Thanks for the tip, I'll try these out.

jonnyfiyve wrote:
eliteslayer4915 wrote:Try using Army Painter, they have a selection of washes and primers to choose from, and they go quite well with GW paints (which I also recommend using, they've got some good ones)
Thanks for the tip, I'll try these out.
No problem, I'm just happy to help

J5, I'm interested in building a custom chopper, but I've no materials yet to make one, so while i wait, why not ask for your advice. What I had in mind was a Judge Dredd themed motorcycle. If you're not familiar, it's simply called the "Lawmaster" if you could search that name in google, it almost looks like the bike from the motorcycle breakout set but with bigger wheels, what do you think should I get to build it?

STan94 wrote:J5, I'm interested in building a custom chopper, but I've no materials yet to make one, so while i wait, why not ask for your advice. What I had in mind was a Judge Dredd themed motorcycle. If you're not familiar, it's simply called the "Lawmaster" if you could search that name in google, it almost looks like the bike from the motorcycle breakout set but with bigger wheels, what do you think should I get to build it?
My long winded response here: Bike building: Tips, Tricks & Resources

The short version is: The Motorbike breakout is a good solution if you are ok with making modifications to the bike frame. I have the bike in front of me right now and I can see that it would be possible to add a larger wheel on the front. However the rear is another story.

I have no ideas on how you would do that front wheel well. Maybe a few angle pieces would do the trick.

I hope my long and short answers help you. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Always happy to help.

I'm very experienced in air brush painting on autobody, plastics, and wood products. J5; let me know how air brushing these figures turn out for you. I'm gonna try some myself after the new year. Today, On some of my figures I use a regular permanent marker.

Jason-101 wrote:I'm very experienced in air brush painting on autobody, plastics, and wood products. J5; let me know how air brushing these figures turn out for you. I'm gonna try some myself after the new year. Today, On some of my figures I use a regular permanent marker.
I do have an air brush but I haven't used it on any of my custom figures and builds.

My current process is to wash the figure or parts in warm water and dish soap.
Apparently there is often some residue from the plastic mold that may prevent the paint from adhering correctly.

Once dry. I use a colored primer, usually white or grey.
Using the rattle can for larger surfaces eliminates any chance of visible brush strokes.
For details and smaller surfaces I use acrylic paint.

You could replace the use of a rattle can with an air brush, it should work perfectly.
The airbrush won't give off that smell that rattle cans do.
You'll just have to deal with the noise from the compressor.

When painting the details make sure the acrylic paint has been thinned, you can simply add water.
Most of the time you won't want to use the paint straight from the bottle. Thick paint will burry the details of the figure.

Happy to answer any questions. Keep them coming :)

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”