[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Figure Kitbashing Topic - Page 2 - Community

Figure Kitbashing Topic

Tips & Tricks
Survivor11 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:02 pm
I'm going to be honest with you chief:
I'm scared.
Scared of what?
Scared of completely destroying the figure.
I have a limited number, and distribution is ten times worse than in America, over here.
Basically: I can't get many duplicates so if I mess it up, then it's over for me, I have to throw away one of my precious figures.
That's why I'm scared.
That's a fair concern.

I'm going to try my hand at this, I was making a painted grey EOD but I think he'd look good in a tan 405th outfit.

What paint colors/types/brands do you use for the 405th?

Maybe I'll try to get another rookie figure.

Not something I like to do normally. I reserve that kind of work for special figures mostly. Still though, there's a lot of great kit-bashed figures made by quite a few members of the community.

Rogue-Elite wrote: What paint colors/types/brands do you use for the 405th?
I typically use Apple Barrel non-metallics, DecoArt metallics, and the Folk Art enamels, metallics, and mattes.

For my 405th character, I used satin sheen beret green, satin sheen black, and metallic silver all from Decoart. I tend to use satin sheen for all my figures nowadays because it bonds better with figures than the matte sheen and it also just looks sleeker.

I remember once I kitbashed a figure (uploaded to the Gallery called Joseph Murdoch) who was a simple sharp knife, superglue and suprisingly enough, cheap nail polish paint deco.

ShlubCustoms wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:16 am
Rogue-Elite wrote: What paint colors/types/brands do you use for the 405th?
I typically use Apple Barrel non-metallics, DecoArt metallics, and the Folk Art enamels, metallics, and mattes.
could you be more specific with colors?

Rogue-Elite wrote: could you be more specific with colors?
I hate to keep generalizing, but not really. I tend to treat my paints as harshly as my custom fodder figures. For example, if I want to make a generic matte tan color to paint a figure or vehicle, I buy around eight or nine bottles of generic whites, blacks, grays, and earth tones from Apple Barrel. I just add a few drops of this and that until I have a color I like, and I paint the figure. Honestly, if you are willing to mix your own colors and learn the little intricacies of making custom sheens (like adding a drop of gloss for every three drops of matte to make a semi-satin paint), it won't really matter what specific colors you buy.

If you don't want to mix colors, it's hard to beat the following specific colors.

Mud/ Mud Wash: Apple Barrel Matte Territorial Beige
Generic Military Green: Apple Barrel Matte English Ivy Green
Silver Drybrushing: Folk Art Metallic Silver
Black Wetbrushing/Drybrushing: Apple Barrel Matte Jet Black
Etc. Etc. Etc.

I use Citadel paints, and for cutting I use nail clippers or Citadel clippers. I also use Sharpies as last resorts or nail polish for texture. For cutting things I use an exacto knife, but only for softer pieces.

I've got my biggest kitbash yet coming

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”