[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Broken Hands (and Broken Dreams) - Community

Broken Hands (and Broken Dreams)

Tips & Tricks
Not entirely certain if this is the right topic, so I apologize, but I'm hoping I can easily modify/repair the part before I have to resort to hunting down a replacement.

So I recently purchased a MCX Halo ODST Rookie figure, good condition overall, but as I went to swap the weapon into his right hand for a picture, I noticed the hand was really loose. So I tried to gently clamp it a bit with my hand to close it more, and without the benefit of hindsight telling me that this was an awful idea, I was upset when the hand snapped open. Unfortunately I am unable to post a picture but essentially the hand broke right in the middle, with the thumb side still attached to the hand peg that goes into the arm, and the four-finger side entirely broken off.

My first question is if anyone has come across this sort of problem, and were you able to repair it? Did you attempt to repair it? Or is it just too unfeasible, and if so, where could I find a replacement? I tried going through the MCX customer service portal but it seems figure replacement parts are very limited, if not nonexistent.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

You can superglue the hand back together, just don't expect it to be able to hold anything again.

NatoGreavesy wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:47 am
You can superglue the hand back together, just don't expect it to be able to hold anything again.
I did give that a shot, but it was pretty fragile nonetheless and quickly broke thereafter. I've considered a tiny bit of acetone to basically "weld" the hand back together, do you have experience with that? I'd like to fix the hand so it can hold a weapon, if possible, so I can use it for animation.

I used plastic cement (the kind used to build model planes and such) on the hands of a WoW figure that had broken and managed to get them to work again. Crazy glue is good for pieces that don´t need to be flexible or sustain tension over time, wherehas plastic cement and/or hard plastic glues have unique properties. .

This kind of glue sort of melds hard plastic pieces into one again, but you need to let them cure afterwards for a few days (a week, to play it safe). Once the bits are joined securely, you need to gently run a 1/8" drill bit into the palm to clean the excess glue/plastic so the figure can hold his weapons without risking breaking it again.

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”