[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Titans vs Mortals... - Community

Titans vs Mortals...

General news and information related to Mega Construx
Hey guys this morning I attempted to post the following response to @shlubcustoms' NMPD contest winners Gallery post. Unfortunately my thoughtfully worded, non-adversarial response seems to be stuck in "Moderator Approval Limbo". So I thought it would be best to post it someplace else where some of you might be able to read it while it is still relevant.
VinceHoffman wrote:@nigelninja11 why do you assume "none of us will ever come close to that." Invest the requisite time and energy into the endeavor and you will become a better builder. Its that simple. Ask Dylan Crossman aka @thekiller2468. As a teen, Dylan's first publicly published efforts on *** 5+ years ago were pretty rudimentary. So were the earliest efforts of all of us so-called Titans- LOL! But Dylan shared our desire to be a better builder. He went to school on the work of experienced builders, poring over our pics and then cloning the techniques we used. Just as I had done with the work of guys like GWH. And practice. Through endless iteration, the more you custom build the more creative your work becomes. In time Dylan's posting habits changed. Instead of posting the first thing he slapped together, he raised the bar. Dylan works on a project until he exhausts his ability to further improve upon it. He only posts the best work he knows how to make. Practice begets perfection.
While I responded to @nigelninja11 by name, that was 'cuz my post would have been immediately after his post had the mods approved it. This post wasn't aimed at any single person specifically but rather the Titans vs Mortals, I'll-never-be-able-to-compete sentiment. Anyone can become a (Titan) great builder. The only thing between brick building "Mortal" and brick building "Titan" is determination, practice, patience, and a reasonable selection of bricks.

I don't get why we're being separated into two different classes...

Some of my builds have been subjectively better than that of certain "titans" but many have not. Still, I'm not going to hold a grudge because of it. Some people are good at building on instinct. I'm good at following the instructions.

My forte is sarcasm though.

I just need way more pieces and my job back, haha!

I honestly think the whole Titan v Mortal thing is stupid. It’s more simply people like you Vince are willing to put some serious dedication into what you do, that let’s be honest a lot of other people don’t do.

The reason I said that is I constantly feel one upped by people who have better picture taking ability/building skill.
It was honestly a moment of weakness and heaps of self pity.

I know I don’t have the reasonable selection of bricks, and patience is iffy. I also feel like my time is limited when it really isn’t. I get that I can get better, but in this instance I think I was just aggravated. Typically contest losses don’t bother me, but this one did. Even I don’t understand.

It did help that Schlub said I was second.

I guess this contest loss didn’t bother me as bad as the time I entered a mech building contest, got a staff pick on my entry, and I didn’t even get honorable mentions. That drove me nuts XD

Ps: In real life my self esteem is large enough that I may come off as borderline egotistical. I think it leaked onto the site. Forgive me. XD

This is kind of what I was trying to get at with my comment. I put "Titans" and "Mortals" in quotations, because it feels like they shouldn't really be categorized like that. Thinking about it, my suggestion about making more slots per "Titan" still feels unnecessary. The point of the contests is to let people show off their skill, and to say that someone with a lot of skill shouldn't participate just because they've practiced more seems pointless. I understand what you were going with, Nigel, but I don't think it's really fair to other users to say they can't participate, or should be separated from everyone else. It's like a talent show. Just because someone is really good at the piano doesn't mean they shouldn't participate.

Like, look at myself. If you look at my customs only a couple years ago, you'd see that all I was capable of was pop'n'swaps, and maybe a below average wash. A year ago; a decent paint job, but nothing spectacular - no detailing, and the paint usually was too thick, thus removing the model's detail. Even a month ago, when I started to get the hang of detailing, I would look at other people's customs and feel like mine still couldn't compare. Now, with Molten Gregor and my holiday Gregors (that I haven't shown off yet), I actually feel like they have a level of detail that can be put up against other people's figures. 2 years. That's all it took, and during one of them, I took a multiple month recovery hiatus where I couldn't do hardly anything Mega related because I couldn't sit up for more than 20 minutes.

Anyways, what I am saying is this; The Gallery's "Titans" were "Mortals" at one point, possibly not even all that long ago, so it feels wrong to actually make that separation.

I have disgraphia,* meanings have trouble with fine motor skills. I find it ironic that I enjoy Mega so much, considering it tires out and sometimes physically hurts my hands. Painting, art, and cutting will unfortunately not be my strong suit anytime soon.

Greg, I hear you. If you read my apology above I explained myself.

*I think that’s how it is spelled.

nigelninja11 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:27 pm
I have disgraphia,* meanings have trouble with fine motor skills. I find it ironic that I enjoy Mega so much, considering it tires out and sometimes physically hurts my hands. Painting, art, and cutting will unfortunately not be my strong suit anytime soon.

Greg, I hear you. If you read my apology above I explained myself.

*I think that’s how it is spelled.
I had no clue, hows you daily life?

SpartanGregor113 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 pm
Anyways, what I am saying is this; The Gallery's "Titans" were "Mortals" at one point, possibly not even all that long ago, so it feels wrong to actually make that separation.
Exactly what I'm getting at @SpartanGregor113. All my submissions to official MB contests back in 2010-2013 failed to even make "honorable mention". That just drove me to build more and work harder to achieve a comparable level of skill to my brick heroes (Mostly GoodwillHunter back then- LOL). I mean who needs sleep when you have Red Bull in the fridge, right? Breakfast of all-nighter brick building zealots!

Return to “General discussion”