[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Shlub's Book Club (General Literature Discussion) - Community

Shlub's Book Club (General Literature Discussion)

General news and information related to Mega Construx
While browsing around the multiple "general discussion" type forums on this website, I noticed a severe lack of book based discussion topics. This is the topic to discuss all things literature, from sonnets to short stories to novels. Talk about your favorite books, authors, genre, whatever. Just keep the books you talk about appropriate like else you would find on this site (basically the book has to more or less follow the rules for the site). Feel free to make book/author recommendations or talk about a good book/series you have picked up recently. If you feel extra verbose, talk about what you look for in a book.

Spoiler Alert for any books discussed in this topic.

I'll start:

I enjoy reading heavily sardonic or surrealistic comedy, especially comedy written by British writers (British humor is majorly different from American humor. British humor is self-deprecatory and delivered in a deadpan way that counterpoints the absurdity of the situation). I also have a great love of science and self aware fantasy novels, so I recently decided to try the Discworld series by Sir Terry Pratchett. His world (if you can call it that) is not set in a knockoff medieval Earth, unlike most fantasy.

His world is basically the modern world with medieval architecture and technology, combined with pretty much all of history that Pratchett decided to write about. Oh, and the world is a flat disk carried on the back of four elephants carried on the back of a giant turtle that swims through space. And Death, (who looks like the generic Grim Reaper with a scythe you see every Halloween) is also a physical character in the series and has some of the funniest lines in each book, especially in the book where he decides to quit his job as the Reaper and become a fry cook. There's forty odd books in the series, but definitely give the first few a try.

You also really can't go wrong with Ray Bradbury, and his novels need no more explanation than that. I'd start with The Martian Chronicles or Fahrenheit 451 if you decide to give him a read.

What books are you reading? What Authors do you like? Write it below. Try and keep everything close to the original topic of talking about books though.

My favorite genre is Sci-Fi. I like Timothy Zahn, mostly because I am a heavy Star Wars geek. I am currently reading Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future, Thrawn: Alliances, Thrawn: Treason, True Colors by Karen Traviss, Darkness on the Edge of Town by Adam Christopher, and a handful otherd.

I am very busy. I'm confused between the plots of Treason, and Alliances. Vision of the Future and Specter of the Past i haven't read much.
True Colors follows Omega Team throughout the later part of the Clone Wars.
Darkness on the Edge of Town follows Jim Hopper before the events if Stranger Things, where he lives in NY with his daughter and wife. He is a homicide detective and has become emersed in a case called the Card Killer. He follows clues, and soon finds himself under cover in a gang, with a psycho Vietnam vet who believes he's summoning the Devil. It's good.

Those are the ones I could rattle off the top of my head.

*clears throat*

*viola plays*

Ah, yes, the trochaic pentameter used in ancient literature is quite beauteous, especially when used within the feminine rhyme scheme.

Huh? Oh, yes. I am being forced to study Historic Literature.

I guess Amazing Fantasy #15 was good.

81Ceta_Deta wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:34 pm
My favorite genre is Sci-Fi. I like Timothy Zahn, mostly because I am a heavy Star Wars geek. I am currently reading Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future, Thrawn: Alliances, Thrawn: Treason, True Colors by Karen Traviss, Darkness on the Edge of Town by Adam Christopher, and a handful otherd.

I am very busy. I'm confused between the plots of Treason, and Alliances. Vision of the Future and Specter of the Past i haven't read much.
Darkness on the Edge of Town follows Jim Hopper before the events if Stranger Things, where he lives in NY with his daughter and wife. He is a homicide detective and has become emersed in a case called the Card Killer. He follows clues, and soon finds himself under cover in a gang, with a psycho Vietnam vet who believes he's summoning the Devil. It's good.

It's been quite a few years since I have read a Star Wars book. Actually, I don't think I have read one since the series about the Yuuzhan Vong invasion was written.

Honestly, the only books I've read in the last two years have been Halo books. Getting myself beefed up on lore has helped my own writing.

ShlubCustoms wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:03 am
81Ceta_Deta wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:34 pm

It's been quite a few years since I have read a Star Wars book. Actually, I don't think I have read one since the series about the Yuuzhan Vong invasion was written.
I prefer Empire and Imperial Remnants books. Thrawn books are perfect for those Eras. I have read about the Yuuzhan Vong on Wookiepedia, and intend to read them once I finish up Timothy Zahn's books.

I hate to say it, but I read the Yuuzhan Vong books so many years ago that I can't remember if they were good or not.

ShlubCustoms wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:24 pm
I hate to say it, but I read the Yuuzhan Vong books so many years ago that I can't remember if they were good or not.
Do you know who Abeloth is?

I'm just gonna go on a limb here and probably ruin someone's day somewhere, inevitably...

I used to read a ton... I stopped a few years because everything just read the same and felt like it was just the same story with a reskin, no matter what genre I read.

My point is, don't tire yourself out on books too quickly like I did. Take your time.

Return to “General discussion”