[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Figure Kitbashing Topic - Community

Figure Kitbashing Topic

Tips & Tricks
Kitbashing is where you take apart something to make something else. Many people know about building MOCs, which is actually a form of kitbashing. That's not what this topic is about. This topic is about figure kitbashing, where you go far beyond simple pop-n-swaps and actually cut and glue parts together in new shapes (think my 405th stuff).

This is the topic for figure kitbashing tricks, tips, and general discussion. Feel free to ask questions, give ideas, and pretty much anything you can think of about MCX kitbashing. There aren't a lot of dedicated kitbashers on the gallery (off the top of my head, I really can only think of myself and two or three others), so I hope this topic spreads awareness of this style of custom-making.

I’ve chopped up a few guns in the last few months. My favorite is a custom holo-knife I made; and yes, I still need to post it.

I've never done it.

Recommended tools to get the job done?

On a side note, what paint do you use and how do you go about applying it in your 405th style?

Rogue-Elite wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:33 am
I've never done it.

On a side note, what paint do you use and how do you go about applying it in your 405th style?
Wire cutters, cyanoacrylate glue. Not much else.

I use Apple Barrel, Folk Art, and DecoArt paint. I thin it out and coat/drybrush the figures with it. I use a 40/0 brush for fine detail.

ShlubCustoms wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:37 pm
Rogue-Elite wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:33 am
I've never done it.

Wire cutters, cyanoacrylate glue. Not much else.

I use Apple Barrel, Folk Art, and DecoArt paint. I thin it out and coat/drybrush the figures with it. I use a 40/0 brush for fine detail.

I can't exactly get wire cutters, any alternatives?

I don't really know what else would work.

I don't mean giant wire cutters like you see Rambo using in the movies, by the way. I mean electrician's wire side cutters. Like, the sort of cutters you would use to cut thermostat wire with. If one of your parents do blue collar work, you probably have a set laying around somewhere. You don't need an expensive set either, just know that you don't want to use the cutters for electrical wire if you start kitbashing with them. Just have an adult cut up whatever part you need cut up.

I'll take a picture of the cheap set I bought for kitbashing and put it on the gallery.

Rogue-Elite wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:03 pm
I can't exactly get wire cutters, any alternatives?
If you have an extra pair of nail clippers, I've found those are pretty good at cutting through MCX pieces. Not so good at longer pieces, because clippers are curved, but other than that, they should be good.
I've also heard that exacto knives work quite well.

ShlubCustoms wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 am
I don't really know what else would work.

I don't mean giant wire cutters like you see Rambo using in the movies, by the way. I mean electrician's wire side cutters. Like, the sort of cutters you would use to cut thermostat wire with. If one of your parents do blue collar work, you probably have a set laying around somewhere. You don't need an expensive set either, just know that you don't want to use the cutters for electrical wire if you start kitbashing with them. Just have an adult cut up whatever part you need cut up.

I'll take a picture of the cheap set I bought for kitbashing and put it on the gallery.
k

SpartanGregor113 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:08 pm
If you have an extra pair of nail clippers, I've found those are pretty good at cutting through MCX pieces. Not so good at longer pieces, because clippers are curved, but other than that, they should be good.
I've also heard that exacto knives work quite well.
I can confirm both of these work pretty. Hobby knives are good, too. Just be careful with nail clippers, since they're not really designed for carving through plastic. I managed to break an old pair once trying to cut some parts of a promethean lightshield.

I'm going to be honest with you chief:
I'm scared.
Scared of what?
Scared of completely destroying the figure.
I have a limited number, and distribution is ten times worse than in America, over here.
Basically: I can't get many duplicates so if I mess it up, then it's over for me, I have to throw away one of my precious figures.
That's why I'm scared.

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”