Green Army Man Syndrome

General news and information related to Mega Construx
This is the topic to discuss how Green Army Man Syndrome has affected your MCX life and how you have overcome it.

Let me explain Green Army Man Syndrome (GAMS).

GAMS is the problem commonly encountered by action figure and MCX army builders. As the name implies, GAMS is when your collection takes on a uniform, undifferentiated, appearance due to having a ton of copies of basically the same figure. For example, if I bought seventy Alpha Series Sierra Marines, I would have seventy open-faced Marines, each armed with an assault rifle and a black leg strap. While that might be accurate to the source material, it would be supremely boring to look at. The solution is to swap out guns, armor, and helmet types with other figures to slightly differentiate all seventy figures.

Personally, my worst bout of GAMS was with the Halo 3 style Marines. Each one was exactly the same figure with no chance for swapping armor. Each one had the same assault rifle. Each one had exactly the same backpack (none).
I solved my GAMS problem by repainting each Marine, swapping the backpacks, and swapping the weapons. I made my squad racially diverse, added a radio pack to one figure, gave another figure a holster, made one a sniper, and gave two figures finger-less gloves.

I combated GAMS with my Sierra Squad figures by swapping weapons and armor around. I don't want to paint any of my Halo 4 accurate Sierra Marines, so that was an easy and effective way of differentiating them.

Where have you encountered GAMS in your life? How have you fought it?

How have you solved GAMS in your life?

Angus has a cloning machine. Boom problem solved.

You make this sound like a bad thing, which isn't necessarily the case. It depends on what you use your figs for.

I'm fairly sure a lot of comic creators, diorama makers, army builders, etc. like myself prefer to have massable quantities of samey fodder figures.

Citing your exact example, I actually have two Sierra squad sets, and nine blind bag Sierra marines. I've changed up weapons and dominant hands so they're not exactly identical, but there's something immensely satisfying about having a uniform horde of troops.

I will add that I've done some considerable work to the figures that don't match the standard Sierra marine. They've become officers, with kitbashed guns, unhelmeted faces, etc.

NatoGreavesy wrote: You make this sound like a bad thing
I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. I do like having a hoard of near identical troops, just with emphasis on the word "near." One of the reasons I haven't painted my Sierra Marines is because MCX has done an amazing job preventing GAMS with the default figures. The only figure I have changed is the officer (I gave him hair). All of the figures in the squad are slightly different except for the two heavies. Don't get me started on the COD line. There isn't a single COD set that suffers from GAMS, and it's nearly impossible to buy so many of one set that you start to suffer GAMS because every single piece is modifiable and swap-able.
NatoGreavesy wrote: I've changed up weapons and dominant hands so they're not exactly identical, but there's something immensely satisfying about having a uniform horde of troops.
That kind of half proves my point, though. You changed the figure ever so slightly to prevent them all from being carbon copies of each other. GAMS doesn't refer to having a hoard of near-identical figures. Each figure has to be exactly the same as every figure like it. Just swapping something as simple as a helmet or a weapon throws GAMS out the window.

I don't consider GAMS a problem, I think it's a side effect of army building. I am old enough to have played with actual Green Army Men when I was a boy, and I guess that gives me a different, and probably wrong, perspective on GAMS.

I like swapping and such with my dupe marines.

I have next to zero GAMS - the exceptions being Promethean, Terminator and Drone figures, but that's hard to avoid. All of my figures otherwise have, at the very least, a unique head. Any duplicates I get I shelve away, pop and swap headgear if I can, or prep for MOCing. Heck, even my zombies are free from this due to getting multiple packs and swapping parts.

Added the cloning tank to my comic so they make sense. Sometimes it can be good minus the face, look at storm troopers from star wars.

LishaThorne wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:02 pm
Added the cloning tank to my comic so they make sense. Sometimes it can be good minus the face, look at storm troopers from star wars.
You mean clones?

Depends on the figures.

I don't mind having a bunch of identical aliens because to humans, all those scum looks the same and must be purged.

Survivor11 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:55 pm
Depends on the figures.

I don't mind having a bunch of identical aliens because to humans, all those scum looks the same and must be purged.
Every grunt is unique and valued.

Return to “General discussion”