Star Trek - Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser - Photoshoot and Review

Builds & Discussions
Deinonychus

Star Trek - Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser - Photoshoot and Review

Postby Deinonychus » Sun May 08, 2016 12:59 am

I’ve never been a Star Trek guy. The optimistic futurism that usually underpins the series has rarely intersected with my preferred flavor of sci-fi which usually involves heavily armored space marines or crackerjack starship pilots engaged in desperate warfare against the unforgiving backdrop of the void. But through that comes a love of spacecraft, and spacecraft do feature heavily in Star Trek, so the first new Mega Bloks Star Trek spaceship was a guaranteed purchase for me.

So, here we have a Klingon D-7 Battle Cruiser. It’s a 351 piece set with one figure for $30 USD. The old 1 piece = $0.10 formula to gauge the value of a set has become increasingly outmoded as manufacturers have included more and more small pieces in sets and begun packing them full of expensive to produce figures. That being said, initially the price seems just right for the set if you were to spy it on the store shelf or listed online. The packaging is rather distinctive and is very well executed. I like how Mega displays their figures in little windows in the front of the box more and more these days, especially since many people are buying these sets primarily for the figures at this point in time.

The figure here is Kor, a Klingon commander. The body-style is, I guess, what we’d consider to be “Halo-style” as it’s shorter than a Call of Duty figure, but it still has the level of articulation we’ve come to expect from Mega. Original Series Klingons being pretty-much just dudes in heavy face-paint, the form of the figure is very standard and should be useful for customizers. Kor does have a rubber shoulder strap which can hold his Disruptor pistol.

The pistol has some nice detail and definitely looks like a 60’s television prop. After getting this set I fired up Netflix and watched the episodes of the Original Series (Errand of Mercy) and the Animated Series (The Time Trap) that he appeared in. The figure is based on his appearance in the Original Series and it captures the likeness of the actor (John Colicos) pretty darn well. It almost has to because, holy smokes, that episode sure did have a lot of close-ups of the main actors. The only possible point of contention I can detect with the figure is the use of the controversial “hole eyes”. Personally, I didn’t even notice until I was taking the zoomed-in headshot for this review, so in all actuality, the figure just fine.

Construction of the set is very straightforward and you start by putting together a well-executed base which includes a nameplate for the ship, a stand for the figure, a Klingon banner for a little flair, and a turntable where you mount the clear supports that hold the ship up. The supports feed into a connector piece which you construct to display the ship at an upward or downward angle depending on how you attach the connector to the ship. If neither of those suit you, the connector can easily be rebuilt to hold the ship parallel to the ground, although that isn’t shown in the instructions.

The ship itself is an interesting build in that it’s composed primarily of flat plates. It’s sort of surprising that after stacking a few plates and attaching some shaped details that you get a full-on Klingon Battle Cruiser in no time. The ship is mostly dark gray with some light gray detailing. This is a little bit odd, because most pictures I found of this particular class of ship showed them colored light gray. Again, I’m no expert, and the colors it’s produced in do look good, but now I’m hoping that a full light-gray recolor will crop up along the line somewhere.

Seeing as Kor is the Klingon in this set, I’m going to say that we could reasonably call this ship the IKS Klothos, as that’s the ship he was in command of in the Animated episode. In all actuality, this set just being a generic D7 is fine, but I like to know names the craft I have models of.

Starting at the forward crew section, the model does an outstanding job of recreating the distinctive lines of a Klingon D-7. Once again in this set we’re treated to fully printed parts in place of stickers. These parts give us wonderfully detailed windows as well as a warhead launcher opening.

After the long neck we get to the main body of the ship. Here there are more printed pieces for the matter intakes and the ship markings. There are additional printed pieces along the sides of the warp nacelles. All this printing serves to give the model a very finished look while at the same time retaining the “blocky roughness” that truly defines a construction toy of this type. The wing sections also include the Disruptor cannons which can be displayed “firing” by sticking a pair of translucent green antenna pieces onto them. It’s a nice option. Not an option I’ll be using, but it’s worlds better than trying to cram some sort of firing launcher in there, and I’m glad that something like that isn’t present. The aft of the ship features a final printed part for the impulse engines. The ends of the warp nacelles have green translucent pieces peeking out for a nice engine effect.

"This is how it's done in the Halo universe buddy! Come and get it!"

Overall this is a very simple set; figure, ship, stand. However, I think the set’s simplicity is one of its strengths. It has a single appropriate figure without other superfluous characters to bulk the set out, the ship is elegantly basic while at the same time perfectly capturing its subject, and the stand is all sorts of functional while cleverly displaying everything in one neat little space. The Klothos itself at first seems a little small for the price tag, but when you consider each individual element and the set as a whole, it actually is a very good deal.

I honestly think that anyone could find some level of enjoyment in this set, whether it be from a building, display, or play standpoint. Aside from my color nitpick, I have no complaints whatsoever about this set. There may be some bit of minutia that a real Star Trek fan could take issue with here, but for a general starship fan as myself, I’m very pleased and I’m quite looking forward to more ships along these lines for the Star Trek theme in the future. Boldly go Mega Bloks, boldly go!

5 out of 5, Perfect!

slackrguy

Re: Star Trek - Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser - Photoshoot and Review

Postby slackrguy » Sun May 08, 2016 9:19 am

That's great, thanks for posting it!

My plan is to display it with the bridge set so it looks as is they are seeing it on the view screen.

ShockDrJ

Postby ShockDrJ » Sun May 08, 2016 2:23 pm

How is it scaled to the upcoming Enterprise set, as it is should be smaller than the Fed ship.

Deinonychus

Postby Deinonychus » Sun May 08, 2016 3:09 pm

A D7 is only slightly shorter than a Constitution-class starship, so this set is way too small to be in-scale with the upcoming Signature Series Enterprise.

However, if all goes well, there will be more ships released in this size-range, so a scaled Enterprise isn't out of the question.

CaryMega

Postby CaryMega » Wed May 11, 2016 9:11 am

Hey Deinonychus,

Thanks for the review! we're glad you love our set! Can't wait to see what you think of our other sets coming out :)

Thehumanelement

Postby Thehumanelement » Wed May 18, 2016 4:56 am

The figure head sculpt alone makes this set desirable. I'm a fan of vehicles that seat figures but I can't deny the appeal of that ship.

jfdumas

Postby jfdumas » Fri May 26, 2017 12:17 pm

This is definitely a nice set!

Return to “Star Trek”