Caution Strips, Camo, and Other Design Monkeys

General news and information related to Mega Construx
For those of you who don't get the joke in the title, Shlub is showing his age again. It's a reference to a Bon Jovi song from 1988.

This really fits both as a general discussion and a specific custom topic, but I'm putting it in general discussion because I want to talk about this issue/nonissue in a general context.

At this point, it's pretty obvious that I am addicted to caution strips. I put them everywhere. I put them on weapons. I put them on figures. I put them on crates. I put them on gear. I put them on terrain features. I put them on vehicles. I put them on turrets. I put them on structures. I put them on my salad like croutons. (I can't wait to see the memes about a salad with caution strips on it. I know someone on this site is going to make them. Looking at you @Murple) The humble caution strip is my go to addition when a flat surface needs detail.

For other uses, their go-to design feature is camo. Others have a specific color scheme they default to. Some people have specific building techniques they incorporate into everything. There really is no nice way to put it. We all have a design crutch. My crutch caution strips. Our crutches don't hold us back, and in many cases enhance our projects, but they are still technically and pedantically crutches.

This is the topic to come clean about it. Talk about your favorite design crutch. Revel in it. Show other people how to use your design crutch and learn to use someone else's favorite design style yourself. This is a wonderful opportunity to both step out of our building and painting comfort zones and remain firmly embedded in our normal design philosophies at the same time.

So, as many a professor has said to his/her terrified students on finals day:
"Discuss"

There is but one thing you have not yet done...
Caution stripe...
On a caution stripe.

Mm, black and red, how I love you two.

Sashes. I make too many sashes. I love adding a little dash of colour, texture, and asymmetry to a custom.

RedThree wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:25 pm
Caution stripe...
On a caution stripe.
*shocked pikachu*

When it comes to painting I'd say the color black.

Gray and Dark Green / Chrome Green.

I want a ODST color themed that.

I'd like to see camouflage more- on marines and ODST

RedThree wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:25 pm
Caution stripe...
On a caution stripe.
"Don't say that. Those very words can open Pandora's box." -Tahu on Reviving (Competitor theme) S3E2 by SuddenlyOranges.

Return to “General discussion”