YouTubers thread

General news and information related to Mega Construx
User avatar
3697
Murple wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:52 pm
Simek4 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:42 pm
Survivor11 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am


That's where you're wrong.

As far as I can remember, you don't get fined for owning a Famas, a HK, or any other European gun in America...
Despite it being completely illegal for civilians in Europe.
Using your logic, European countries could fine American citizens for owning European manufactured weapons.
What? That's not what he was saying.
Yeah, guns are incredibly different from entertainment platforms.
I'm using it as a common example.
I could talk about videogames for example.
Let's say that you are playing Assassin's creed, but all of a sudden, the game is banned in France for some reason and a new law is voted in that means you get fined for playing the game.
Seeing as Ubisoft is French, does that mean Americans get fined for playing it too? It's an entertainment platform.

I think you can see, from my fictional example, how ridiculous it is to assume that one country's law applies to another automatically.

User avatar
3697
Wait, I also have another real life example.

The chinese government banned free speech ages ago.
Considering that free speech is a human right, and that humans banned it, that means that everyone who is not Chinese, is a valid candidate for the re-education camps.


I could go on all day applying the logic of, "Yeah, but this thing belongs to that country so you have to abide by another country's law all of a sudden".

User avatar
1391
From what I've gathered, (don't take this as the absolute truth, just some research) it seems COPPA does affect all of Youtube. This is due to the fact that Youtube, while many on the site are not American, is accessable to Americans. That means it must comply to FTC regulations and rules.
American children can access the site, so the site must comply with COPPA and it's rules.
Again, don't take that as the absolute truth. I just did a little research and my sources could easily be incorrect.

User avatar
3697
RedThree wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:27 pm
From what I've gathered, (don't take this as the absolute truth, just some research) it seems COPPA does affect all of Youtube. This is due to the fact that Youtube, while many on the site are not American, is accessable to Americans. That means it must comply to FTC regulations and rules.
American children can access the site, so the site must comply with COPPA and it's rules.
Again, don't take that as the absolute truth. I just did a little research and my sources could easily be incorrect.
Yes, YouTube must comply.

From what common sense gathers, however, I am not a US citizen, a US resident, nor am I in the US in this very moment, as such, the US government has zero authority over me.
As such, unless they would like to spark a diplomatic incident, US government organisations cannot do anything to me except sue. However. I can request they sue me in my country, which means that they have to comply with French suing laws. Fortunately, to sue someone in France means immeasurable amounts of paperwork, legal fees, and you must be prepared to wait several months, at least, in addition to needing an excuse deemed valid by the judicial system.
As such, because of the sheer amount of hoops that are required to jump through in order for COPPA to sue me, I am about 99.9% sure I'm safe.

Oh, and, the COPPA act is not deemed a valid excuse because it's pretty silly.

User avatar
1377
Survivor11 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:14 pm
RedThree wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:27 pm
From what I've gathered, (don't take this as the absolute truth, just some research) it seems COPPA does affect all of Youtube. This is due to the fact that Youtube, while many on the site are not American, is accessable to Americans. That means it must comply to FTC regulations and rules.
American children can access the site, so the site must comply with COPPA and it's rules.
Again, don't take that as the absolute truth. I just did a little research and my sources could easily be incorrect.
Yes, YouTube must comply.

From what common sense gathers, however, I am not a US citizen, a US resident, nor am I in the US in this very moment, as such, the US government has zero authority over me.
As such, unless they would like to spark a diplomatic incident, US government organisations cannot do anything to me except sue. However. I can request they sue me in my country, which means that they have to comply with French suing laws. Fortunately, to sue someone in France means immeasurable amounts of paperwork, legal fees, and you must be prepared to wait several months, at least, in addition to needing an excuse deemed valid by the judicial system.
As such, because of the sheer amount of hoops that are required to jump through in order for COPPA to sue me, I am about 99.9% sure I'm safe.

Oh, and, the COPPA act is not deemed a valid excuse because it's pretty silly.
Think of it like this: The US doesn’t have authority over you, they have authority over your YouTube account.

User avatar
213
Murple wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:23 pm
Survivor11 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:14 pm
RedThree wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:27 pm
From what I've gathered, (don't take this as the absolute truth, just some research) it seems COPPA does affect all of Youtube. This is due to the fact that Youtube, while many on the site are not American, is accessable to Americans. That means it must comply to FTC regulations and rules.
American children can access the site, so the site must comply with COPPA and it's rules.
Again, don't take that as the absolute truth. I just did a little research and my sources could easily be incorrect.
Yes, YouTube must comply.

From what common sense gathers, however, I am not a US citizen, a US resident, nor am I in the US in this very moment, as such, the US government has zero authority over me.
As such, unless they would like to spark a diplomatic incident, US government organisations cannot do anything to me except sue. However. I can request they sue me in my country, which means that they have to comply with French suing laws. Fortunately, to sue someone in France means immeasurable amounts of paperwork, legal fees, and you must be prepared to wait several months, at least, in addition to needing an excuse deemed valid by the judicial system.
As such, because of the sheer amount of hoops that are required to jump through in order for COPPA to sue me, I am about 99.9% sure I'm safe.

Oh, and, the COPPA act is not deemed a valid excuse because it's pretty silly.
Think of it like this: The US doesn’t have authority over you, they have authority over your YouTube account.
As Murple said, because you use a US Company's site, you fall under their laws while using it. YouTube is a US owned website, and COPPA affects any and all content creators on the website.

User avatar
917
You wanna know something, people?
No.
Well too bad because I'm talking.
Here's the thing......

JUST SHUT UP!!!


User avatar
1391
Give me a reason as to why you demand I be quiet, or I will continue to speak.

User avatar
1377
RedThree wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:29 pm
Give me a reason as to why you demand I be quiet, or I will continue to speak.
Here’s a reason: we all hate this whole stinkin’ conversation.


Return to “General discussion”